Visit to Coventry today to attend a surgery for the Coventry ArtSpace project I am planning a proposal for.
My first visit to Coventry, and it didn’t rain! Visited the site to get my bearings really and to understand the location, which is Broadgate, the main and oldest square in Coventry. A pedestrian zone, close to the Herbert Gallery and the Cathedral
Really positive feedback from the surgery; they seemed to like the idea; now I need to firm up the plans for the proposal. Main points of my idea are;
- to share ideas and stories through ceramics
- transfer craft skills teaching and exchanging designs for ceramic transfers
- engender a sense of place and discussion between participants/delegates/members of the public
Things to do:
- find contacts for community groups in Coventry
- sort out contents insurance
- research Alfred Herbert’s interest in ‘art into industry’ in the 50s
- explore whether a commercial entity can be involved in the proposal
- locate some possible sites for consultation workshops, including Herbert Gallery’s ‘Whats in store’ room
- N.B. Artspace has a kiln!
- start thinking of an image – possibly work with an existing commercial entity
Things to consider:
- backstamp ideas. There is a logo for the symposium which could be used.
- ownership of the cups – the participants in the consultation need to be able to identify their own work and take possession of it when it is done.
- international community that lives in the city – they are the resource that makes Coventry vibrant
The positives of the meeting were that the will seemed to be there for a peripatetic to be a positive contribution to the work of ArtSpace. There seemed to be an established community willing to invest in the international ‘peace and reconciliation’ message that Coventry had cultivated but who wanted it to promote it nationally and locally. Local-Global factor again. The context of Coventry being a centre for transport seemed to support the idea of a shared story. This is THE THEME.